Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Getting Ready for Christmas?

How are the holiday preparations coming along? Three weeks until Christmas so time is running out. I have a Christmas newsletter about 25% complete, a shopping list with a lot of question marks, and one gift ready for mailing. Not a lot of progress for December 4.

There seems to be some resignation about Christmas this year- people concerned about their finances who realize they need to cut back. My worry each year is that I waste money if I buy a gift that the recipient doesn't like. Ideally, I'd prefer to find the "perfect" gift on my own and not have to rely on a wish list but at least a list ensures the gift is appreciated. I like gift cards because then the person can get exactly what they want but then I feel guilty, like I gave up without really trying. I'm overwhelmed by all the choices on the internet and this year I'm not ready to do the Polish gift thing. My solution at the moment is to procrastinate.

We haven't done any decorating yet. Maybe we'll get a tree this weekend; there are lots of tree lots around town but I have no idea what kind of evergreens they offer. Our traditional gingerbread house will have to wait until school vacation begins on the 19th. We'll make doughnuts (Ryan!) then, too, and cookies.

The ODC party is next Friday evening and will be a joint venture with one of the other embassy offices. A caterer will be providing the main dishes while families will bring desserts and side dishes. The ambassador will have an open house at the residence sometime this month and the language school that teaches the Polish classes at the embassy is having a party on Saturday. The days of sitting in Santa's lap are long gone!

I hope everyone is a little more prepared than I am and looking forward to a relaxing holiday, especially the moms, who usually shoulder the burden of planning, decorating, shopping, wrapping, cooking, and cleaning.

1 comment:

Grandma Ann said...

Sorry...98% of my purchases are complete and I have it all due to you living in a foreign port. Because I have to mail early I get my act in gear early. THANKS!!!!

I try to look for a theme of gifts. Some years in the past is was DVDs, another year was CDs and other years which themes I can't remember.

I love giving magazine subscriptions because these gifts give for many months during the year.

Do you remember the years that Grandma Pulsifer gave you, Doug, Lisa & Ian a money gift of $50?

Good Luck with purchasing and mailing gifts. The calendar was not favorable to us this year with Thanksgiving being late Christmas seemed to creep up on us.

Love your blog!!!!!!!!!!

smile...