Tuesday, February 24, 2009

About Brisinger...

Okay, I finally gave in and picked up our copy of Brisinger. Katy had requested it several months ago but I had refused to read it. The first in the series, Eragon, had been a fun read. The writing was a little derivative but Kyle had wanted me to read it and I admit I enjoyed it. Eldest, the second book, was a little more of a grind- endless action with no end in sight for 700+ pages- but I forged ahead, seeking resolution. Of course, being a trilogy (and now a "cycle" of four books), there was no conclusion; Eldest ended with a plot twist. Now, part three, Brisinger, is out and has been laying about the house. Kyle refuses to read it and I was trying to be snooty about it, too, but Guns, Germs, and Steel was getting a little repetitive so I put it aside for some action and a mythic hero (I'm a sucker for the lonely hero who's not sure he's up to the task).

While it's still action, action, action with more detail than I want or need, Paolini's writing has improved. I do occasionally find myself skipping pages to the end of battles, but I do care what happens to Eragon so I continue to soldier on. I won't ever reread these books like I did Harry Potter but I am committed to hanging in there until the end. Kyle can mock me all he wants but I want to know what happens (the mark of a good story?).

And while I'm admitting my guilty pleasures reading, know that I read and enjoyed all the Twilight books!

Guilty admission #2- I have never been able to finish the Lord of the Rings series.

No comments: