Thursday, February 5, 2009

New Feature

I have added a new feature to the blog. Since we all love to read so much, I thought people might be interested to see what we are currently reading. I'll try to get each family member to review their books but for now, here's my input on my most recent reads.

I just finished rereading The Professor and the Madman, an account of the creation of the Oxford English Dictionary. The author's love of words shines through as he describes the huge undertaking of creating the first complete dictionary of the English language. Imagine- Shakespeare did all his writing without either a dictionary or a thesaurus! A fascinating story.

A Question of Honor tells the true story of the Polish pilots of the Kosciuszko Squadron before, during, and after WWII. If, like most Americans, you have no idea about the significance of Polish history and it's contribution to the US and the world, then I highly recommend this book. Some of it will be painful to read because you'll be ashamed of some of the US decisions during the war but it will open your eyes to what is usually ignored by American history books.

I am rereading Jane Eyre because I think it has been 30 years since I first read it! Charlotte Bronte was ahead of her time in voicing her belief in equality and independence for women. In her preface to the reader she writes, "Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion. To attack the first is not to assail the last." A smart woman who's words are still appropriate today.

I have a pile of books on my night stand (some women buy shoes, I buy books) so I'll keep you posted as I read. What about you? What are you reading? Would you recommend it and why?

2 comments:

Grandma Ann said...

Great idea!!!!

Recently, I listened to Little Women on CD/books while driving in my car. Since I spend a lot of time driving it seems like a good idea to listen to books.

smile...

Lisa said...

your comment suggests some kind of exclusivity. some women buy shoes AND books...