Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Terrorism hits home

Tim and I had an eye-opening experience on the Washington, DC metro yesterday. We were in our usual go-to-school mode- sitting on the metro, reading the paper, studying Polish, checking email, etc. Two stations before our stop, after the new passengers boarded and the train was accelerating, a man standing just inside the door, opened a book and began singing a religious song aloud. I briefly looked up and then returned to my book (A Tale of Two Cities- excellent!) because unusual behavior is the norm on the metro. Tim watched longer and then gently elbowed me and said, "What if he's singing a last, fanatical religious song before self-detonating? Does he look like he's wearing a bomb?"



This certainly got my attention! And he was right, sadly. Aren't we constantly reminded to be alert and cautious? Aren't we supposed to be constantly aware of our surroundings? Don't things happen when we least expect them? Am I safe from terrorism just because I live in the US?



I was startled as these sobering questions ran through my mind. But then I thought, what could I do and what would I do? There was no place to run and he was only four feet away from us. So, like any good Scarlett, I decided not to worry about it and returned to the French Revolution.

No comments: