Monday, May 25, 2009

Interesting article about Poland from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8066680.stm

I have found this to be true- labor costs in Poland are quite low. For example, we had brought with us an old, worn love seat and new fabric with which I was going to make slipcovers. When I priced hiring a Polish upholsterer to do the work instead, it was so inexpensive that it was easy to to make the decision to have the work done. And instead of slipcovers, I was able to have the love seat completely re-upholstered.

While labor is cheaper, imported products are not. The fabric to redo the couch would have been quite pricey and we'll never buy a pair of Levis here. Groceries are less expensive. I spend less than $100 per week to feed a family of five, when I shop at the Polish stores. When I shop at the small commissary at the embassy, the cost is much higher because prices are marked up 30%+ so we shop there as little as possible (have to have peanut butter!).

Train travel is inexpensive, too and with the current exchange rate, eating out is much more affordable than it was last year. But don't ask me how much we pay for gas!


*major bummer- Berlin Marathon sold out two days before I logged on to register online

2 comments:

Grandma Ann said...

I liked the economics lesson. It is always interesting to hear the relationship of costs.

How sad you can't run the Berlin Marathon! That is a BUMMER BIG time.

smile...

Debbi said...

Sorry to hear about the marathon. Do they get cancellations and open up spots?